Throughout The Burren & Clare, there are great developments in locally sourced quality Irish foods. Below are a few of our personal favourites in the area - Enjoy!!
- THE BURREN SMOKEHOUSE Visitor Centre & Gourmet Shop (directly opposite The Burren Hostel) - A Traditional Artisan Smokehouse selling & exporting the finest organic smoked salmon around the world to stores such as Harrods London & Gallerie Lafayettes & Ka-Da-We Berlin. With daily demonstrations in various languages of how they smoke their salmon, the smokehouse is also a stockist of locally sourced Irish Gourmet Food & Gifts. Definitely worth a visit!!
- ROADSIDE TAVERN & BURREN BREWERY & KIERAN'S KITCHEN has 3 unique beers on tap including it's famous Burren Red Ale - this old, traditional, family-owned pub offers superb lunches & dinners (seafood chowder to die for!!) in addition to the pub being one of the most famous traditional and contemporary music venues in Clare - Ceol & Craic guaranteed!!
- WILD HONEY INN - With many coveted awards under his belt, Aidan McGrath serves superb food in a relaxed setting with open fires and cosy nooks in their bar. The food emphasis is on the wild, free-range, seasonal and local, with a ‘Modern Bistro Style’. Amongst the many awards, there is the ‘Bib Gourmand’ award
- “Good food at moderate prices”, from The Michelin Guide - the Inn is the first pub in Ireland with this award.
- SHEEDY'S RESTAURANT - The New York Times said it all, in an article on The Burren said "I had an entree of Black Sole so exquisite; I wonder if I'll ever eat fish as fresh and good again".
- ORGANIC TEA ROOMS IN THE BURREN PERFUMERY - Refresh with their Spearmint Tea and the wonderful perfumery fragrances lingering in the air - enjoy delicious homemade soup and fabulous cakes - a real find!!
- CASSIDY'S PUB & RESTAURANT - Enjoy succulent steaks & well priced Irish traditional food in a very cosy traditional Irish Pub with open Turf fire, with the most stunning views of the heart of The Burren you shall find (from their large windows and stone sun terrace out the back of the restaurant) at the starting point for the Carran Loop hike
- FEAR GORTA TEA ROOMS - by the pier, enjoy unusual salads, amazing cakes and a stunning traditional cottage decor with herb gardens - a real treat!!
- KILSHANNY HOUSE (in the tiny village on the road between Lisdoonvarna & Ennistymon) - Mary & Aidan will welcome you warmly to their beautiful home ( a hidden gem!!) with divine tastes such as their well known "Belini" (Irish Tapas) - Funfilled Crazy Jazz & Trad Music Evenings with the Local Characters dancing in this quaint pub - Kilshanny House has won many Green awards & you may be lucky to end up at a traditional Irish wedding!!
- GURU TEA HOUSE (Crosbies) - Situated on the main street, try their tea of the day (eg: Red Dragon) & the meringues & the homemade soup- lovely comfy sofas - a real chill zone while you are shopping and visiting the cascades (waterfalls)
- UNGLERT'S BAKERY - Follow your nose into this tiny but exquisite bakery. Buy a Danish and get a veggie treat for later.
- VAUGHAN'S ANCHOR INN - Situated in the pretty seaside village of Liscannor, enjoy some award winning seafood dishes in this beautiful traditional pub & restaurant - Oysters are so fresh you can taste the sea!
LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS
Colourful stalls, recipe swapping & a cheeky haggle over fresh fruit, veg & fish - Irish Farmer's Markets are not just a place to pick up artisan chees, it's a cultural event in itself. Try real authentic Irish Street Food with an artisan twist.
- Fridays - Kinvara & Ennis
- Saturdays - Ballyvaughan, Ennistymon
- Sundays - Doolin